If the visa in your passport says, "Police registration within seven days of arrival", or the back of your visa extension card sys 'Report extension to the police," you must book an appointment with us to register within seven days of coming to the UK.

This instruction can also come from a letter from the Home Office. This will arrive separately and within a few days of receiving a letter to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP).

To find out more information on BRP's, visit the government website.

The Immigration Regulation Act 1971 (Registration with the police) is a legal requirement made by the Home Office. Failure to register is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution.

Necessary Documents

If the words ‘police registration’ are not on your landing visa, please ensure that you bring the email or letter you have received from the Home Office.  If you have received an email, you can find it by for atlas in your e-mails. If you don't think you have received an email, please check all your e-mail accounts.

We will not be able to issue a police registration certificate until we see ‘police registration’ either on your landing visa, on your biometric resident permits (BRP), or on a letter or email from the Home Office.

We will require the following documents to issue a police registration certificate:

  • A valid passport
  • A BRP 
  • A proof of address. It must be dated within the last 3 months and be one of the following documents:
  • Bank/credit card statement
  • Utility bill
  • Letter from university or employer on headed paper. Please note, we do not accept tenancy agreements.
  • Credit or debit card to make payment of £34. Please note, we do not accept cash, China Union Pay or American Express.

How can I book my appointment?

When you enter the UK, you must self-isolate for 14 days. During this time, complete the online form you need to by using your UK visa vignette. This is normally a sticker in your passport.

Once the 14 day self-isolation period is over, book your appointment.

We appreciate that you have to register with us within seven days of arriving in the UK. You will do this if you:

·         complete your online form while self-isolating

·         book your appointment to register with us

Also, after self-isolating, make sure you give yourself enough time to collect your Biometric Residents Permits (BRP) card before coming to an appointment. This can take up to 21 days.

This means you will not have to book another appointment to have your certificate updated with your BRP details.

We are now fully open and operating as normal within COVID-19 secure guidelines.

When you come for your appointment, you must wear a face covering inside the building. Make sure to bring one, or we will give you a disposable mask to wear if you do not have one.

If you’re unable to wear a face covering, email us before your appointment. We’ll make other arrangements so you can visit the office safely.

You must report any absences from the U.K. for longer than 3 months to us. You can do so by emailing us. When you email, please remember to quote your full name, date of birth and police registration certificate.

Your police registration certificate is valid throughout the U.K, however if you move out of the West Midlands, please take your police registration certificate to the force that covers your home address within 7 days.

Frequently Asked questions

I am moving from the West Midlands to another force – what do I need to do?

You need to register with the police force that covers your new address within seven days of the move.

I am leaving the United Kingdom – what do I need to do?

If you are leaving the United Kingdom for less than three months you do not need to do anything.
If you are leaving for longer than this you legally have to notify the force that you have last registered with.  Please ensure that you provide your leaving date and travel details.

Do I need to keep my Police Registration Certificate if I return home?



Did you find the page you were looking for?
Did you find the information useful?
Rate this page (1 star poor – 5 stars excellent).
*Required field.