• Can I report slander or defamation to the police?

    Slander or defamation of character is a civil matter, and so we do not have any jurisdiction to assist with this.

    We recommend you speaking to a solicitor or Citizens Advice before taking any action.

  • What if the comments are threatening or grossly offensive?

    If you believe the messages posted are either threatening, grossly offensive or obscene, then this could be an offence of malicious communications. You can find out more and find out how to report this to us via our dedicated malicious communications page.

useful Links

  • To find out more about posting false information, please click here and visit the Ask the Police website.
  • Click here if you wish to report malicious communications to us.
  • Click here to visit Citizens Advice, a network of charities that give free and confidential information to everyone in the UK. 


Did you find the page you were looking for?
Did you find the information useful?
Rate this page (1 star poor – 5 stars excellent).
*Required field.