Statistically you are more likely to be the subject of violence from someone you know than from a stranger on the street.
Fear of attack is often far greater than the actual risk but there are simple measures which everyone can take to help protect themselves. Make yourself aware and responsible for your personal safety – keep yourself safe.
- Think ahead and plan your journey, avoiding deserted areas
- Try to avoid walking alone at night, and keep to well-lit main roads where possible. You should try to avoid short cuts like alleyways, waste ground and wooded, bushy areas
- Stay alert: be aware of what's going on around you
- Try to avoid wearing headphones – your ability to hear traffic, strangers or potential trouble is severely restricted
- It is always worth letting someone know where you are going, the route you intend to take and when you expect to return
- Avoid confrontation. Walk away rather than make an argument worse.