Top of Page
  • Student jailed for raping fellow under-graduate as she slept Read full story
  • Birmingham man arrested in Spanish terrorism investigation Read full story
  • Detectives keen to speak to two men in connection with the James Brindley murder investigation Read full story
  • Driver jailed after leaving pedestrian with serious injuries Read full story
  • Appeal for witnesses in James Brindley murder enquiry Read full story
West Midlands Police - Homepage

West Midlands Police

Preventing crime, protecting the public and helping those in need

Skip Navigation LinksHome > latest news > news

Latest news

Appeal after vicious attack on vulnerable man in Wolverhampton


Police are appealing for information after a young man with learning difficulties was attacked and had his bag set on fire in a Wolverhampton park.
The young man − who is in his 20s − was left with a broken jaw and fractured eye socket following the assault, which took place in Northwood Park at around 5.15pm on Thursday, 5 June. 
He was on his way home from college when he was approached in the park by two teenage boys. They asked him a question before repeatedly punching him to the head and kicking him in the leg. The pair then set light to the man’s bag, which contained all his coursework. 
The pair are both described as white and in their late teens. One of them was around 6ft tall, with a tanned complexion and of a stocky build. He had black hair, which was closely shaved, and he was wearing a black Adidas jacket. 
The other boy is described as being slightly shorter, of a medium build with short, blond hair. He was wearing a blue jacket and jogging bottoms. 
PC Chris Gallon from Wednesfield CID said: “This was a really nasty attack on a vulnerable young man, which left him needing metal wire inserted into his jaw and surgery to repair his eye socket.
“What’s particularly cruel about this crime is that after the assault, the offenders burnt the victim’s bag, totally destroying all of his college work. 
“We are doing all we can to find those responsible for this callous assault and one person has already been arrested in connection with the offence. However, we’re still keen to hear from anyone who was in the park at the time − or recognises the offenders from the descriptions given − and would urge them to call us." 
A 16-year-old boy was arrested on 21 July in connection with the assault. He was later released on police bail pending further inquiries. 
Anyone with information can contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.