Top of Page
West Midlands Police - Homepage

West Midlands Police

Preventing crime, protecting the public and helping those in need

Skip Navigation LinksHome > advice centre > help and advice > vehicle recovery scheme

Advice centre

Vehicle Recovery Scheme

Stolen Vehicles

Vehicle Recovery Scheme

If you suspect your vehicle has been stolen the police may have recovered it. Please check our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to our most common queries on this.

Vehicle Recovery Charges

Charges apply when vehicles are recovered by police on behalf of members of the public. You can see a table of these charges here (.pdf).

Vehicles Seized for being driven without a licence or no insurance

Section 165A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 gives the police a specific power to seize immediately vehicles which are detected being driven by uninsured drivers or drivers who do not have a valid licence, and for the vehicle to be removed, released or disposed of in accordance with regulations made by the Secretary of State.

How do I reclaim my vehicle?

When your vehicle was seized you will have been given a vehicle seizure form (WT840 or WT841). You will only be able to reclaim your vehicle between 8am – 4pm, Monday – Friday and this must be at the Police Station specified on the seizure form.

When you do attend the Police Station to reclaim your vehicle you must bring with you

  • The vehicle seizure form
  • Valid driving licence
  • Current insurance for the seized vehicle
  • The full vehicle registration document (V5C) / sufficient proof of ownership

In cases where you are unable to provide all of the above you will not be successful in reclaiming your vehicle.

Once all your documents have been validated your seizure form will be stamped authorising the release of your vehicle. This will then entitle you to attend the Vehicle Recovery Operator to collect your vehicle. They will wish

to see your documentation before its release.

What are the charges to reclaim my vehicle?

Please see table of statutory charges (.pdf).

What happens if I don’t believe my vehicle should have been seized?

You will still need to follow the above procedure and pay the statutory recovery charges and then fill in this enquiry form (.docx).

The Vehicle Recovery Unit will then process your enquiry to decide if you are eligible for a refund. Please note where your insurance company has failed to update the Motor Insurance Bureau with your policy details you will not be successful in a reimbursement. You will need to contact your insurance company directly.