Top of Page
  • Woman jailed for assisting Kenichi Phillips’ murderers Read full story
  • Betrayed husband is convicted of wife’s murder in Willenhall  Read full story
  • Teens arrested over car-jack series – as others charged with car thefts Read full story
  • Three handed life prison terms for drive-by killing of Black Country dad Read full story
  • Police appeal to trace suspected fraudster Read full story
West Midlands Police - Homepage

West Midlands Police

Preventing crime, protecting the public and helping those in need

Skip Navigation LinksHome > advice centre > help and advice > overseas visitor registration

Advice centre

Overseas Visitor Registration

To book an appointment for all new registrations, updates and transfers please visit

We are located at:

Digbeth Police Station
113 Digbeth
B5 6DT

Telephone Number: 0121 626 5307


Opening hours:

0800 – 1500 hours Monday – Thursday & 0800 – 1130 hours on Fridays

Should you require wheel chair access, please contact the office to book an appointment on 0121 626 5307.

How will I know if I need to register?

If you are currently living in the West Midlands area or moving into the West Midlands area and the visa in your passport states 'Police Registration within 7 days of arrival' or if it states on the back of your visa extension card 'Report extension to the Police' you must attend the office within 7 days to register.

Why do I have to register with the Police?

The Immigration Regulation Act 1971 (Registration with the Police) is a legal requirement made by the Home Office. Failure to register with the Police is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution.

What should I bring with me?

If you are registering for the first time you will require:

  • Two identical passport sized photographs
  • Valid passport and visa
  • £34 Payment to be made by credit/debit card – we prefer not to have cash payment. We will accept all credit cards inclusive of credit cards from your home country.
  • Proof of address required for all new registration, transfers and updates. Police Registration Certificates will not be updated without proof of address i.e. Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter, bank statement, utility bill… Proof must not be over 3 months old.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I register for anybody else?

No, as we need to confirm identity and require a signature for the registration certificate.

Moving to West Midlands from another force?

Proof of address required for all transfers. Police Registration Certificates will not be updated without this. Proof of address can include your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter, a bank statement or a utility bill.

I am moving from West Midlands to another force – what do I need to do?

You are required to register with the police force that covers the address that you will be residing at within 7 days of move.

I am leaving the United Kingdom – what do I need to do?

  • If you are leaving the United Kingdom for less than 2 months, you do not need to do anything.
  • If you are leaving the United Kingdom for an indefinite period, you have a legal obligation to notify the force that you have last registered with, ensuring that you have your embarking date, embarking port and flight details when contacting.

Do I need to keep my Police Registration Certificate if I return home?

Yes, Police Registration Certificate is valid for an indefinite period and must be used should you return to the United Kingdom. – it does not have an expiry date.